Dare Mighty Things

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Teddy Roosevelt

Friday, December 26, 2008

Retirement Annoucement

It with great anticipation (and more than a little trepidation) that I announce I am returning to competitive Nordic skiing after a 27 year "retirement". [That's me in the picture to the left (#89) at the Pale & Peddle in Henniker, NH in January of 1979. Notice my "little bro" Jay, #38]. How could I have known at 13 years of age that I would miss the sport as much as I did? Part of the reason for my initial retirement was so that I could focus on basketball and be with my friends Dwight and Thom. [Not to mention, chicks dug guys who could ball...and much to my surprise I later found out that didn't mean 'cry like a mama's boy']. Back in the day, the Bill Koch ski league was a great outlet for my budding endurance sport passion. For the better part of 4 winters I raced in and around Northern New England in the race series named after the first great American cross-country skier (and Brattleboro, VT native), Bill Koch. Later, as an exercise physiologist, I would marvel at the superhuman metabolic engines of world-class cross country skiers with their VO2max's of 75+. As as endurance sport, in my book, it has no rivals. I've always thought that if given the chance to be any Olympic athlete I would be a Nordic skier. You can take your Michael's...Phelps, Johnson, and Jordan. For me, the greatest athlete of all-time will always be Bjørn Dæhlie (Google that one...). A special thanks to my mother who saved these great photos all these years!

No comments:

Post a Comment