Dare Mighty Things

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Teddy Roosevelt

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Andover XC

aR Takes Home 3rd Place
in the Team Division
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."  -Sir Isaac Newton

Andover,  MASSACHUSETTS -- Much like many of the events I did in 2010, this one wasn't on the radar last December when I set my schedule...but it's sure to be included in 2011.  The Andover XC 6k was my first ever attempt at a classic XC race.  I played football in high school and ran only as a punishment routinely mocking the "skinny leggers" who thrashed around the woods in tight shorts and waffle shoes.  I am now 'they' and wouldn't want it any other way.  My motivation for heading to Andover on Turkey weekend was simple...a teammate suggested we put together a team to race for a podium finish.  Little did I realize how difficult that objective would be.  Turns out the Andover XC 6k brings out one of the fastest and deepest XC fields in the northeast with some of the best teams around.  Although acidotic RACING is really a collection of multi-sport athletes, there is no "running-specific" team that races with more tenacity than we do.  And some talent up front as well.  Led by our newest addition, Ryan Kelly (Concord, NH), our Top 4 scorers including Ryan, Danny Ferreira (Concord, NH), myself, and Chris Benson (Rochester, NH) finished on the podium in 3rd place less than 2 minutes behind Somerville Road Runners.  Although our Top 4 scored, all eight of the aR teammates in attendance raced with toughness and class.   In fact, Amber Ferreira (Concord, NH) finished on the overall womens podium (in 3rd) with her 41st overall finish.  Individually, I was very pleased with my effort finishing in 34th overall in a time of 21:39.33 (6:12's).  The course was run mostly on the Andover Country Club cart paths with a sprinkling of fairways.  I had bought a pair of ASICS CC spikes which stayed in the truck once I found out that they'd be not only useless but a hindrance on this course.  I raced instead in my ASICS trainers.  The course was dry and the footing never an issue.  As was the theme all year, I caught and passed people on the climbs and gave the spots back on the descents.  It was a fitting end to a very successful 2010 competitive year.  Tomorrow begins my snowshoe-specific preparation and the start of 2011 training and racing calendar.

NEXT UP:  Beaver Brook Snowshoe Race

No comments:

Post a Comment