Dare Mighty Things

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Teddy Roosevelt

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chick Parm Redux

Have you ever put off a Sunday AM run 'til the afternoon and then regretted it every step of the way? We were heading down to MA this morning for a family function and I had very good intentions last evening of getting up and getting a quick 6 in before 7:30 AM. My first mistake was forgetting that in my chronically sleep deprived state, if it doesn't involve an entry fee or a starting line there's no way I'm getting out of bed before 7:00 AM on a Sunday. Mistake #2 came at the lunchtime meal when I went back for second's on the chicken parmesan. Believe it or not I passed on the cake. As it turned out later, I should have had a piece. Anticipating my state of mind after driving 90 minutes home on a Sunday afternoon I had already laid out my running clothes. The beautiful Chamber of Commerce morning had turned into an ominously cloudy afternoon but had yet to rain...until I stepped out of the garage on my way to run Donkey Hill. Before I finished the 200 meters of Cross Road the thunder clapped and the lightning flashed and all manner of cats & dogs descended from the heavens. I always say that being wet is a heck of a lot easier than getting wet. The first few minutes of my rainy 6 mile loop were the most uncomfortable...from a weather standpoint anyway. Remember the chicken parmesan I liked so bad and had to have seconds? I burped it the entire way. By the time I approached the last climb up 2CPR I was wishing I had eaten some cake. Anything would have tasted better in review than those breaded chicken cutlets in the tangy marinara.

No comments:

Post a Comment