Dare Mighty Things

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Teddy Roosevelt

Monday, February 16, 2009

Kingman Farm Update

Madbury, NEW HAMPSHIRE--The final race of the 2009 Granite State Snowshoe Series is scheduled for this Saturday night. The Kingman Farm Moonlight Snowshoe 5k presented by Petzl is the culmination of a record year for snowshoe racing in New Hampshire. Close to 120 snowshoers will walk to the starting line, headlamps a blazing, to take on everything Kingman Farm has to offer. Last year the conditions for this event were very thin as rain and warm weather conspired against us. This year, much as last, rain and warmer days for the past two weeks have knocked down much of the snow that had fallen in January and the beginning of February. After spending 4 hours at "the farm" this morning I'm happy to report, dare's plenty of snow in them dare woods! The rail, much like last weekend at Horse Hill, is hard packed and fast. Make no mistake about this course however...the trail is somewhat booted (in spots) and wicked off camber (in others) making it more like a trail race than a snowshoe race. I'd estimate that 90% of it will be a track meet, and the other 10% a highly technical challenge. The switchback singletrack up and over Hick's Hill is narrow, twisty, steep, icy, and probably the section of the course you'll want to do twice! If I fail to mention it Saturday night here's your fair warning...race this section at your own peril, the combination of highly technical terrain and darkness will make this part of the course both exciting and treacherous. My GARMIN VISTA HCx measured the course just shy of 5k, but the Motion Based software had it coming in a little over 5k. It's 5k and will be marked as such. Thursday's forecast is for a light wintry mix and temps in the 40's. I'm going to try to make it out there myself at least once before Saturday or send my Dad to survey the damage. There will be one final race update e-mailed before event night. Be preared to race with a smile the entire way! This event is unlike anything you've ever done.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really pumped up for this race. It was such a hoot to run last year. And having to perform well because I'm locked up in a dog fight with Ted and Jay makes it all the more exciting. Then again who knows what Ri will end up doing? Word on the street is that JJ and SW are going to take it easy because of the Amherst 10 miler the next day. What a bunch of whimps!!!

    See you tomorrow